Thursday, September 29, 2011

Post #1

             As I was reading over the last module, I was bombarded with so many ideas of activities and lessons that I could implement with my seventh-grade students.  One difficulty I encounter with some of my students is their lack of interest and motivation when it comes to their reading and writing, and I think many of these activities and technological programs could assist me in my quest.
                In the current reading unit I am teaching, the ultimate goal is to help students to find books they will enjoy reading and read voluntarily, as well as boosting their self-confidence as readers.  My firm belief is part of the reason some students dislike reading so much is due to the tedious, minimally-effective worksheets that some teachers assign.  As stated by  Olgren, “The purpose of interactive activities is to involve students in the kind of deep analysis and synthesis processes essential for deep understanding and application” (Leading 21st-Century Schools, 47).  By allowing students to work on activities like wiki sites and blogs, we are still holding them accountable for understanding and analyzing books.  However, instead of simply recording answers on worksheets or in their books, they now have the opportunity to dialogue with other students, in their own class or in other parts of the country or world; the boundaries are endless. 

                Also, education constantly stresses the necessity to individualize our instruction to meet the needs of our very unique learners.  As Schrum and Levin explain, “The main characteristics of this “new” Internet are connected with its constant development and delivery of services tailored to the needs of each user” (48).  That way, teachers can allow many possibilities of response, reaction, and assessment to help all of his or her learners to grow and succeed. 

                I have embedded a link to blogs, one for each class, into my wiki.  I feel that these blogs will be easy to utilize in my Reading classes, as students can respond, question, and discuss the books that they are reading.  As the year progresses, and many students have read the same books, it will create a very convenient opportunity to dialogue about their book choices and ideas.  Furthermore, if I have a student who seems to have very unique interests that don’t really match with those of their classmates, they can interact with other learners of the same interest.  “ . . .Collaboration can be much more accessible and diverse.  We can create sites where classes from disparate geographies can conduct all sorts of experiments” (Richardson 27).  That way, students can dialogue with people outside of our classroom.  Bringing their unique experiences to the table, the students are equipped to both teach something they know about the book, thus empowering themselves, and they are able to learn from someone else who has the same interests.

                While I am very excited to work to implement this, I have two hesitancies.  First, I am a little uncertain what permission I need to get from the school and the parents in order to ensure that all students can participate.  I am going to begin by contacting my principal to ensure that I am following proper protocol.  Second, our school district has a very tight curricular schedule.  I will work to incorporate these activities in class, but I think they will also need to be assigned for homework.  Unfortunately, I work in a district where only some of the students have access to the Internet from their home.  I will need to work with those students to make alternate arrangements so that they have opportunities to utilize the technology as well.  I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts! 

4 comments:

  1. These are the exact same thoughts I am having with all of the readings and assignments we are having. They are connecting what I think teaching should be about to the pedagogy behind using technology in the classroom. It seems though you have some challenges ahead of you with the limited access to computers. That’s a tough one, I wonder what the policy is for using outside vendors in your district. I know Apple does programs/expos where they have people bring several computers for people to use freely. I am not positive of the cost behind it but since it is for educational use it may be discounted or free. That is something to play around with where you can have a class period(s) dedicated to acquainting your students with certain aspects of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate-
    I admire your quest to find what will motivate students to want to learn to be better readers and writers. On a side note, we are starting Writer’s Workshop at my school (I’m a middle school principal) and I am really excited about this component of it, motivation. There is so much choice involved that I am seeing students really get excited about just writing and coming up with new ideas. Of course, I don’t think you can throw the baby out with the bath water as I think there also needs to be a balance with structure and some traditional approaches. Go for the blogs. Of course, letting your principal know is necessary but don’t be deterred. We have teachers use Edmodo with students for online discussions. My teachers send a letter home and tell parents at back to school night, “If you see your student on this site they are really doing school work!” We haven’t had an issue. I also think it is a bit mythical that low SES parents/students don’t have access to the internet. Between smart phones, friends, work, and the library, everybody is maintaining an email address or Facebook page…in my opinion – great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all the curricular need should become before the technology. Though today there are technologies that can drive curriculum such as Skype. You should start the blog process with speaking to your principal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the feedback, everyone! I did get some help from my principal and Director of Curriculum, Professor Pope, and I was able to send out letters to inform the parents of our use of wikis and blogs. I have received no opposition, so I am very excited about that! Also, it does seem that the majority of students have access to the Internet, so as long as I give a little extra time to students who may have trouble accessing the Internet, I think I should be good to go!

    ReplyDelete